Tuesday, November 10, 2009

SEX TALK

Last week, during lunch when there were three of us girls in the office, Dr. Wong asked us for our advice for something. I was curious to know what she needed advice on. Turned out that she wanted to know how and when she should approach her eldest daughter about the "SEX TALK"! My other two coworkers and I gave our opinions and talked about our own experiences with how our parents approached us with "sex". We agreed with each other for the most part, but I realized that we all had different experiences. I think ethnicity has a lot to do with how a parent might approach their children with the topic of sex. I am a first generation Chinese born American who have very traditional and conservative parents. We don't talk much about feelings, sex and emotions, it's awkward. But I do remember my dad mentioning that he did not want me to get an abortion, thus meaning don't disappoint us... which implied no sex/ no unsafe sex. It was one of the most awkward car rides ever. I've learned to hate one on one car rides with my dad because that's when there's no escape and you have to listen to what he has to say. Dr. Wong was concerned because her eldest daughter just entered high school and she didn't want her daughter to have sex with the wrong guy! "How did your parents give you the 'All guys want is one thing' speech," she asked. I thought that was so funny, because as you grow older you learn that in fact that's what all guys want. They're nice to you and buy you things because they want to get you in bed, eventually.

I love working with Dr. Wong and I love how she always asks us girls for opinions and girl talk. She is seriously just TOOO CUTE!! She's one of the nicest and most genuine people I know! Not only that she is seriously a super mom, super surgeon, super doctor! Definitely a role model figure!

Something to think about: Were you given a sex talk from your parents? If so, how was that like and how old were you?

No comments: